Download the following open source software:
* Tomcat 6 from http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi
unpack it in a local directory. (I got the Core tar.gz one)
* Eclipse (the JEE edition) from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
* Install the Maven (m2eclipse) plugin for eclipse by adding
as a new site under Help->Install New Software-> Add
Select the the checkboxes of the modules you want to install.
Create a new Eclipse project
* Select File-> New -> Other -> Maven Project
leave project name and location to the default values
as a project Archetype select maven-archetype-webapp
as a group ID select the name of your organisation e.g. org.biojava
Artifact ID is the name of your module. E.g.: myweb (this will also be in your servlet URL)
This will create the following servlet in your workspace.
Deploy the project on Tomcat
* Add a new Tomcat 6 server : Select File-> New -> Other -> Server
* select Apache-> Tomcat 6
* point it to the location at which you upacked Tomcat
* add your servlet to it and press Finish
* Start your server buy either clicking the green button, or right click on your servlet project and say Run As -> Run on Server
* Tomcat will start and the servlet is running
Add new jsp pages and start the development of your servlet!
Finally: If you want to give the servlet to your sysadmin to release on a production site, just do a Right click on the project and do Run As -> Maven package . This will create a myweb.war in the target subdirectory of your project that can be deployed in stand alone tomcat instances outside of eclipse.